The Occupancy Specialist is responsible, under the supervision and direction of the Property Manager, for the leasing of apartments, applications processing, accurate tracking of leasing data and completion of related reports in compliance with all company policies and procedures and with all applicable Equal Employment Opportunity, Fair Housing and Human Rights statutes. This position will be responsible for a 128 unit tax credit affordable site located in Oakland.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Participates in all marketing and leasing functions related to all affordable housing programs and applications, including remarketing assessments.
- Facilitates the renewal and recertification process for all program participants.
- Interviews and processes applications for new move-ins and lease-up of vacant units.
- Resident retention including the renewal process and move-in orientations.
- Prepares all RMC-required and agency-required reports.
- Ensures accuracy of recorded information about each affordable housing program.
- Site specific administration and compliance.
- Initiates new ideas, methods and systems related to affordable housing processing.
- Special projects and tasks.
- Answers telephones, takes messages, directs phone calls, retrieves voice mail messages and instructs answering service
- Prepares work orders and maintains work order log on a regular basis.
- Files work orders by appropriate apartment number.
- Collects rents from residents following necessary procedures
Specific Site and Leasing and Recertification Administration Tasks
- Maintains an accurate up-to-date status of rental units, including availability of units and supply status reports to the Property Manager on a weekly basis.
- Assures applications are received, date stamped and logged.
- Accurately maintains the Applicant Logbook, assigning numbers in the order applicants are received.
- Thoroughly reviews applications to ensure that all information is correctly and completely shown. Ensures that applications are processed timely and if applicable, in application order.
- Thoroughly understands all site regulatory programs and implements RMC’s leasing criteria and the income bands of eligibility and clearly explains them to prospective residents.
- Interviews applicants utilizing the Applicant Checklist.
- Responsible for processing of all applicant files for move in by conducting household interview, obtaining 3rd party verifications, tracking responses, confirming eligibility and preparing files appropriately for Property Manager for lease and certification signing.
- Tracks progress of all applications in process for units available and acts to expedite completion of said files within program parameters. Maintains a minimum required number of approved files at all times for all tax credit waiting lists.
- Approves/denies applications based on the leasing criteria and program requirements.
- Assures that all leases and addendums are properly signed.
- Assures proper tenant file set up.
- Maintains accurate, up-to-date waiting and transfer lists (if applicable).
Resident Retention and Recertification
- Conducts and monitors new resident orientations and move in inspections to ensure that all are in accordance with RMC’s standards and that all residents have a clear understanding of all unit, building, and property features and procedures.
- Conducts new resident orientations, including a thorough explanation of all lease provisions and an item-by-item review of the house rules.
- Increases the resident retention rate by following renewal and recertification procedures
Special Projects and Tasks
- Completes special projects and tasks as assigned by the District Manager or Property Manager.